Would you like to join us?
The YPC is always delighted to welcome new members aged 16 upwards. Whether you are at school, college, university or work you are welcome to just come and try us out. You can turn up to any rehearsal, held Tuesdays at 7.30pm in Wakefield Girls High School’s Mulberry Hall found on Margaret Street behind the school.
Please ring Derek Howell on 01924-890095 or email Derek@yorksphilchoir.co.uk and let him know you are coming beforehand so he can be there to welcome you.
We also live in the real world and recognise that members will not always be able to commit themselves to every single concert, but if wishing to sing in a concert members must endeavour to attend a minimum of 75% of rehearsals. There are also some events where only limited numbers are invited to sing, either for musical reasons or due to the size of the venue. In this case members are expected to attend all or most rehearsals for the events in which they participate.
The Choir currently has around 100 members drawn from all parts of Yorkshire, and we are always delighted to welcome new members, with a particular interest in tenors and basses. To maintain the high standards demanded, membership of the choir is by (singer-friendly) audition. Sight reading ability is expected but just as important are a good quality voice for choral singing, musicality and a quick ear and mind.
The current annual membership fee is £144 payable in one instalment or 6 monthly ones of £24 (Nov to April). The student suscription is £15 p.a. and the Treasurer is always very happy to discuss alternative ways of paying the subscription recognising that for some people a single payment may cause problems. If you are a taxpayer Gift Aid significantly increases the benefit of your subscription to the society at no cost or inconvenience to the individual. If this would apply to you, please ask for the gift aid form and complete and sign the declaration.
The membership subscription includes the cost of:
- weekly rehearsals (conductor, accompanist and suitable venue)
- all music for the season (though the option to buy is available for those who wish to do so)
- the musical aspects of four/five major concerts a year all of which are accompanied by professional musicians, and the employment of professional soloists
- all aspects of the staging of those concerts
- the marketing of choir events
The only additional cost of membership is the concert dress, which members are expected to purchase. All members are also requested to use standard black folders which are also available from the choir for a small charge.
You can be assured of a very warm welcome, and by joining the Yorkshire Philharmonic Choir you will have the opportunity to:
- sing large scale choral works from baroque to contemporary
- be part of a large friendly choir
- develop your singing skills and musical appreciation through encouragement and
- take part in overseas tours every two or three years. In 2006 we sang recitals in Normandy, in 2009 we were based in Bruges, and we have previously sung in Germany, the Irish Republic and in 2013 we are planning to return to the Dordogne Region of France.
If you would like further information with a view to possibly joining the Yorkshire Philharmonic Choir, please contact the membership secretary Graham Heley at email@example.com.